Friday, April 10, 2009

Disconnected Thoughts

I can always tell who's walking through the house by the sound of their foot falls.
My dad's long, carefully placed strides.
Tanner's skipping walk.
My mom's quick steps, magnified by the sound of her clapping sandals.
Why do we tend to define people by what they do instead of who they are?
I've always been known as the girl who smiles all the time and bakes people cookies and is nice.
But what if I wasn't like that anymore? Who would I be?
Honestly, I don't know who I am.
I've just been doing what I've always done because that's what people expect from me.



I have a headache.

2 comments:

mona.in.the.box said...

Who you are and how you feel on the inside is just that--on the inside.
To everyone else, who you are and what you do on the outside is what defines you.
It's when you do what you want, how you want it, that people really see you.
I think.
I don't really know. Just an idea. C:

I can tell my family's footsteps too. My grandma's little shuffle makes me happy CB My dad's heavy steps fill me with uncalled-for dread Dx
lawl.

Yesterday was fun.
CRITICAL ACCLAIM

GraceEstelle said...

You aren't whiny.
And, if you don't like what people see you as, change that. :)
Do things that show who you are, really, you know?
Or just don't care what people think of you. Give them a chance to see who they want to see and who you are, and to hell with the people who don't love you either way.

<33